the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences (NATAS) today announced the dates, locations and lifetime achievement winners for the 2022 Daytime, Daytime Creative Arts & Lifestyle, News & Documentary and Children’s & Family Emmy Award ceremonies. The Academy previously announced the winners for Lifetime Achievement in Sports and Technology and Engineering, but postponed the presentation of these honors due to the COVID-19 pandemic. All NATAS events are expected to return in person this year following virtual ceremonies in 2020 and 2021.
the 1st Annual Emmy Award for Children and Family (theemmys.tv/childrens-family-emmy-awards) will take place on Sunday, December 11 at the Wilshire Ebell Theater in Los Angeles. The very first Honored for Lifetime Achievement for children’s and family television is LeVar Burton. Long-time literacy advocate and facilitator of reading rainbow, who taught a generation the joys of reading, has won more than 20 Emmy Awards. Burton currently hosts his own podcast, LeVar Burton bedand offers a YouTube series, This is my storythat shines a light on racism in America.
Those who want to stay on the cutting edge can also mark their calendars for the 73rd Annual Technology & Engineering Emmy Awards on Monday, April 25 at the Wynn Encore, Las Vegas. Receiving the 2022 Lifetime Achievement in Television Technology Award Will Be a Tech Entrepreneur Yvette Kanouff.
BAFTA announced the winners of 2022 British Academy Television Craft Awards Sunday, celebrating the top behind-the-scenes talent of 2021. The ceremony was hosted by Mel Giedroyc and featured guest presenters including Ade Adepitan, Aisling Bea, Mary Beard, Olivia Colman, Natalie Emmanuel, Prasanna Puwanarajah, Tony Robinson and Harry Trevaldwyn . Police drama Landscapers and musical We are lady parts scored the most wins with three each.
The price for Special effects, visuals and graphics went to Netflix’s fantasy adaptation the witcherparticularly the first episode of S2 “A Grain of Truth”, which sees Geralt (Henry Cavill) and Ciri (Freya Allan) sever the toxic relationship between the cursed Beastman Nivellen (The iron Throne‘ Kristofer Hivju) and a bloodthirsty Bruxa (Agnes Born). The award was presented to Dadi Einarsson, Gavin Round, Aleksandar Pejic, Oliver Cubbage, Stefano Pepin and Jet Omoshebi, representing teams from Cinesite, Hivemind, Platige Image and Pioneer Stillking Images.
were also nominated earth at night in color (AppleTV+), Intergalactic (Sky One) and Black holes: the heart of darkness (BBC Two). the witcher also won for Make Up & Hair Design (Barrie Gower & Sarah Gower). See the full list of winners at bafta.org. Check out Cinesite’s work on the three terrifying basilisks for the witcher S2 Final here.
the 29th Stuttgart International Animation Film Festival (ITFS) announced the nominees for the Trickstar Professional Awardswhich will be presented at a gala on the evening of Wednesday May 4 during the German Animation Festival (May 3-8, itfs.de/en).
the Trickstar Company Award rewards companies and animation projects with an innovative and revolutionary business model. The €7,500 prize is sponsored by the Verband Region Stuttgart. The 2022 nominees are: interactive museum series ArtMinute (Die Asta Experience, Zentropa Prod.), augmented reality installation Colored (Black) (Novaya), VR experience Go for it (Mack Next, KG). The projects will be presented on May 7 in the ONLINE PRO section.
the German Animation Screenplay Award for an animated feature awards a prize of €2,500, sponsored by the Animation Media Cluster Region Stuttgart (AMCRS). The prize for the German screenplay with the greatest international market potential (€1,500) is sponsored by Pink Parrot Media. The nominees are bird of the year (Wolfgang Lauenstein, Christoph Lauenstein), Dinosaur Mite (Armin Prediger, Andreas Völlinger), Little Miss Santa Claus (Jasmina Kallay) Mr. Wiggles (André Heeger) and The (mostly) wonderful Murray (Christian Caps).
the Germany Anime Games Awards 2022 for the best and most innovative animation-based computer game from Germany comes with a cash prize of €5,000, sponsored by MFG Medien- und Filmgesellschaft Baden-Württemberg. The nominees are: A Juggler’s Tale (kaleidoscube / Mixtvision Mediengesellschaft), Minute of the Islands (Studio Fizbin / Mixtvision Mediengesellschaft), Dorfromantik (Toukana Interactive), OMNO (Studio Inkyfox UG) and Gap (DigiTales Interactive/Assemble Entertainment).
SIFF closed sound 48th Seattle International Film Festival On Sunday, announcing the winners of the 2022 Golden Space Needle Audience and Competition prize with jury. The awards were presented at a ceremony and brunch held at the Hyatt Regency hotel in downtown Seattle on April 24. The 11-day festival, which kicked off on April 14, screened 263 films, including 28 world premieres (15 feature films/13 short films). Animated winners included:
- love, daddy | Diana Cam Van Nguyen (Czech Rep.) | Grand Jury Prize – Animated Short Film.
- Declaration of the jury: “…A powerfully raw and tender short film, which deftly and compassionately explores complex family dynamics by artfully combining an array of animation and live-action techniques.”
- Marcel the shod shell | Dean Fleischer Camp (United States) | Golden Space Needle – First runner-up for Best Picture and third runner-up for Best Director
- battery dad | Seung-bae Jeon (South Korea) | Golden Space Needle – Second Runner Up for Best Short Film
the Advanced Imaging Society announced the winners of 12th Annual Lumiere Entertainment Technology Awards. The organization recognized nine distinguished technical achievements that are moving the entertainment industry forward with impact through innovation during an AMD-sponsored brunch at the Wynn Resort in Las Vegas. The 2022 winners are:
- AMD – AMD EPYC
- Brompton Technology – Tessera SX40 LED processor
- Cinionic – Barco 4 Series SP4K-55 Cinema Laser Projector
- resume – HP Reverb G2 Omnicept Edition
- Prysm Stages/Lux Machina/NEP Virtual Studios – Advanced VFX LED volume in camera
- Qualcomm Technologies – Snapdragon Spaces
- Tencent Media Labs – Holographic Live Stream
- V-Nova Limited – V-Nova point cloud compression
- Weta Effects – Weta FX face crafting system
Dates, deadlines and more:
- Tickets are now on sale for the 2022 Hybrid SEE the conference (October 16-21) for in-person and online participants. In addition to lectures, panels, workshops and masterclasses, there will be an on-site event this year Recruitment fair (see website for more details). To buy tickets
- SCAD GamingFest takes place this week (April 28-29), offering an on-demand animation showcase, a Unexplored projection, making-of SCAD student game Home is where the hearth is and discussions on the metaverse, NFTs, inclusive character design and more.
- Sun Pass Film Festival creators launch gay-focused program Anita Film Festival (named after infamous anti-gay activist Anita Bryant). Submissions are now open for the Miami, Florida event. Deadline: May 9, 2022.
- After the success of the first edition, Golaem is launching a new series of free online crowd sim training: Golaem Academy 2 takes place May 10-18.
- The following MAF presents will hop on the Catbus for a guided tour of all things Studio Ghibli as Library present podcasters “Studio Ghibli’s ZA”. Live at HOME in Manchester, UK on Wed 18 Maydedication to follow. To buy tickets